- Published on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Late last week, Southwestern Community College (SWCC) Head Women’s Basketball Coach Addae Houston announced the latest recruit—Cambry Schluter of Hopkins, MO—for his 2014-15 Spartans basketball team.
Schluter, who will be a May 2014 graduate of North Nodaway High School, was an all-conference selection and a District 16 All-District Team selection her junior and senior years. She scored more than 1,000 career points for North Nodaway High School. In addition, Schluter is a member of the National Honor Society and made the Principal’s Honor Roll all four years of high school.
- Published on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Southwestern Community College Head Softball Coach Lindsay Stumpff announced recently Brennan Banks of Wayne will be joining the Spartans softball program for the 2014-15 school year.
Banks, who will be a May 2014 graduate of Wayne Community High School, plays catcher and third base. During high school, she received all-conference outfield, all conference infield, all-district softball, all-state infield, and has been a four-year varsity letter winner. She has also excelled academically being named to the A Honor Roll, as well as being a member of the National Honor Society, the Wayne Athletic Leadership Council, and the Student Council.
- Published on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Fremont-Mills High School athlete Ashley McClary is headed to Southwestern Community College (SWCC) to become a multi-sport athlete for the Spartans, playing basketball for Women’s Basketball Coach Addae Houston and throwing shot-put for Track and Field Coach Bill Huntington.
McClary was a part of Fremont-Mills’ 20-5 basketball team this past season, finishing first for the first-time ever in the Corner Conference Tournament. She is a member of the National Honor Society.
- Published on Monday, April 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Get involved! Whether you Pay it Forward on your own, with a group of friends, or during one of the large group activities, encourage positive behaviors and service to the community throughout the week.
Check out the planned PIF Week Events!
Check out how others are Paying it Forward on 2014 PIF Posts page!
See you at the campus-wide cookout today from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Student Center!
- Published on Friday, April 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Addae Houston, Southwestern Community College (SWCC) head women’s basketball coach, recently added two strong athletes to his roster from Kansas City, MO.
Sabrina Fountain, a senior at Raytown South High School in Kansas City, was a 2014 Kansas City Suburban Conference Honorable Mention selection and a 2013 Kansas City Suburban Second Team All-Conference selection.
- Published on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Sa’Lisa Berry, a senior at Abraham Lincoln High School in Des Moines, signed with Southwestern Community College (SWCC) this week and as of fall 2014 semester will be running track, as well as playing basketball for the Spartans.
During high school, Berry received a 2014 Metro Conference Honorable Mention selection, 2014 Iowa Elite Senior All Star Team selection, and the 2013 Captain Award for track and field.
Addae Houston, SWCC head women’s basketball coach, said Berry will give the Spartans great depth at the guard position. “Sa’Lisa is a solid shooter from the outside and knows how to create shots for others,” Houston stated.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Creston— The Southwestern Community College (SWCC) board of directors met Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Center on the Creston campus.
Tom Lesan, SWCC vice president of economic development, spoke with the board concerning callable bonds the college has with Fansteel/Wellman Dynamics and Farley’s and Sathers for 2006, as well as Astoria Industries of Iowa, Pinnacle Ethanol, Precision, Inc. and Precision Optical for 2007. Lesan explained that by paying the bonds off early there will be a total savings of $63,605. Following Lesan’s explanation, the board approved the “Resolution Authorizing Redemption of Outstanding Bonds and Directing Notice be Given” for all of the callable bonds:
• $725,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2006-1 Multiple Project), Series 2006-1A
• $1,120,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates(2006-1 Multiple Project), Series 2006-1B
• $425,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2007-1 Multiple Project), Series 2007-1A
• $830,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2007-1 Multiple Project), Series 2007-1B
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM
The Southwestern golf teams traveled to Fort Dodge on Tuesday, April 15, for the Iowa Central Invitational and came home with a third-place finish for the women and fourth-place slot for the men. The finishes are more impressive upon considering that both teams competed with only four players. Typically, college teams play five and are allowed to drop the highest score. Shelby Williams paced the women with an 84, and used strong marks from Konnor Griffith, Caitlin Giles, and Logan Kinyon to earn third place. Chasen Selsor had top score for the men and was followed by consistent marks from Jake Speer, Jared Theis, and Angga Edwards for fourth. The teams will next travel to Mason City on Monday to compete in the North Iowa Area Invitational.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Bill Huntington, Southwestern Community College head track and field coach, recently added three student-athletes from southwest Iowa to the Spartans’ 2014-15 women’s track and field roster.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM
The Spartans have two players coming to SWCC this fall from the East side of the country. Erich Gonzalez (left) is a infielder/outfielder that can also take the mound from John F. Kennedy High School in Bronx, NY. Daniel Lopez (right) is a catcher from Coral Park High School in Miami, FL.
- SWCC Students’ Work on Display During Poster Day
- "Rumors" Success for Club
- Roebuck Signs with Southwestern
- SWCC Co-Hosts Statewide Conference
- Williams Medals at Otter Creek
- New York Infielder Signs with Spartans
- Spartans Place at National Sports Shooting Event
- Student Art Exhibition at Warren Cultural Center
- Florida Prep Gives Verbal to Spartans
- Spartans Compete in First Meet of Spring