- Published on Friday, April 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Addae Houston, Southwestern Community College (SWCC) head women’s basketball coach, recently added two strong athletes to his roster from Kansas City, MO.
Sabrina Fountain, a senior at Raytown South High School in Kansas City, was a 2014 Kansas City Suburban Conference Honorable Mention selection and a 2013 Kansas City Suburban Second Team All-Conference selection.
- Published on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Sa’Lisa Berry, a senior at Abraham Lincoln High School in Des Moines, signed with Southwestern Community College (SWCC) this week and as of fall 2014 semester will be running track, as well as playing basketball for the Spartans.
During high school, Berry received a 2014 Metro Conference Honorable Mention selection, 2014 Iowa Elite Senior All Star Team selection, and the 2013 Captain Award for track and field.
Addae Houston, SWCC head women’s basketball coach, said Berry will give the Spartans great depth at the guard position. “Sa’Lisa is a solid shooter from the outside and knows how to create shots for others,” Houston stated.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Creston— The Southwestern Community College (SWCC) board of directors met Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at 5:30 p.m. in the Administration Center on the Creston campus.
Tom Lesan, SWCC vice president of economic development, spoke with the board concerning callable bonds the college has with Fansteel/Wellman Dynamics and Farley’s and Sathers for 2006, as well as Astoria Industries of Iowa, Pinnacle Ethanol, Precision, Inc. and Precision Optical for 2007. Lesan explained that by paying the bonds off early there will be a total savings of $63,605. Following Lesan’s explanation, the board approved the “Resolution Authorizing Redemption of Outstanding Bonds and Directing Notice be Given” for all of the callable bonds:
• $725,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2006-1 Multiple Project), Series 2006-1A
• $1,120,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates(2006-1 Multiple Project), Series 2006-1B
• $425,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2007-1 Multiple Project), Series 2007-1A
• $830,000 Industrial New Jobs Training Certificates (2007-1 Multiple Project), Series 2007-1B
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM
The Southwestern golf teams traveled to Fort Dodge on Tuesday, April 15, for the Iowa Central Invitational and came home with a third-place finish for the women and fourth-place slot for the men. The finishes are more impressive upon considering that both teams competed with only four players. Typically, college teams play five and are allowed to drop the highest score. Shelby Williams paced the women with an 84, and used strong marks from Konnor Griffith, Caitlin Giles, and Logan Kinyon to earn third place. Chasen Selsor had top score for the men and was followed by consistent marks from Jake Speer, Jared Theis, and Angga Edwards for fourth. The teams will next travel to Mason City on Monday to compete in the North Iowa Area Invitational.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Bill Huntington, Southwestern Community College head track and field coach, recently added three student-athletes from southwest Iowa to the Spartans’ 2014-15 women’s track and field roster.
- Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM
The Spartans have two players coming to SWCC this fall from the East side of the country. Erich Gonzalez (left) is a infielder/outfielder that can also take the mound from John F. Kennedy High School in Bronx, NY. Daniel Lopez (right) is a catcher from Coral Park High School in Miami, FL.
- Published on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
The work of approximately 80 Southwestern Community College (SWCC) students will be on display during Poster Day, on Tues., April 22, 2014, from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in the upstairs of the SWCC Student Center on the Creston campus.
- Published on Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Congratulations to Kelly Franklin and the SWCC Drama Club on a job well done on their production of Neil Simon's Rumors. More than 100 people attended the single performance last Friday evening. Franklin said with the profits from the ticket sales the club is already excited and planning for next year.
View more photos from the production on the SWCC page on Facebook.
- Published on Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Brenen Roebuck, a high-energy guard from Ralston, NE, signed a National Letter of Intent with Southwestern yesterday. Roebuck caught the eye of head coach Mike Holmes with his understanding of the game, especially on the defensive end of the floor, and his consistent hustle. Roebuck is a guard who can get to the basket, handle the ball, and hit the outside shot on occasion. Despite several verbal commitments, Roebuck is the first official signing for the Spartans. He will join eight incoming freshmen in this year’s recruiting class.
- Published on Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Southwestern Community College and Northwest Iowa Community College co-hosted the 2014 Iowa Association of Community College Trustees (IACCT) Conference, March 31-April 1, at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Des Moines.
- Williams Medals at Otter Creek
- New York Infielder Signs with Spartans
- Spartans Place at National Sports Shooting Event
- Student Art Exhibition at Warren Cultural Center
- Florida Prep Gives Verbal to Spartans
- Spartans Compete in First Meet of Spring
- Automotive Programs Hosting Open House
- New Spartan Coach Recruits Two for 2014 Volleyball
- PIF is Coming! T-Shirts on Sale
- Bedford Native Joins Sports Shooting Team at SWCC