David Vollmar, strategic account manager for Alliant Energy, made a visit to Southwestern Community College last Friday to deliver a $50,547 rebate check to the college. Rebate incentives are available from Alliant for energy efficiency projects in new and existing commercial, industrial or agricultural facilities. The college has completed a number of these projects recently such as renovation of the 100-bay classrooms, Learning Resource Center lighting, and residence hall construction.
The Spartans men’s basketball team used 13 first-half points from sophomore Jaylon Smith (pictured) and nine a piece from sophomore Mataika Koyamainavure and freshman TJ Bower en route to a 62-37 halftime lead over Graceland JV on Monday night, November 3, in Creston.
Defense set the tone in the beginning moments of the second half as the Spartans got five consecuted defensive stops. From there they rolled to a 120-73 victory. Freshman Marquise Yarborough had 10 second-half points while sophomore Tanner Kellogg added eight.
The Spartans openned up their season hosting the Grand View University JV Vikings on Saturday, November 1. The Spartans took and three point lead into the lockeroom at the half 39-36. The Spartans tied the score at 64 with a few seconds left in the second half. The Vikings inbouded the ball and ran it up the floor and made a shot at the buzzer to take the win from the Spartans 64-66.
Ready for the dancing skills of your club, organization, or athletic team to go viral?? We challenge you to Step Up @ SWCC!
All athletic teams and clubs/organizations are invited to enter. Choose a song, choreograph a dance & later have the video recorded right here on SWCC’s campus.
The videos will be judged by individuals pre-selected on campus and later posted on the SWCC Facebook page during SWCC Week. There will be a club/team selected as the "Judge’s Pick" and a "Fan Favorite" selected based on the most ‘likes’ on Facebook.
- ALL songs must be pre-approved by November 7
- ALL video recording must take place on SWCC’s campus
- Videos will be recorded the week of November 10
- Dance moves and attire must be appropriate
- Clubs/teams with sponsors/coaches in the video will receive extra points from judges
The Spartan sports shooting team is on a roll this year. On Saturday, October 25, the team earned their fourth straight win of season in front of a large home crowd. Of the eleven squads in competition from SWCC, Iowa Central CC (ICCC), Simpson College, and Hawkeye CC, the top Spartan squad finished in first place with a score of 239/250, edging out ICCC with a score of 230/250.
Ben Friederichs, SWCC sophomore from Walcott, was named all region honorable mention, following a 13th place finish at the 2014 Region XI Men's Cross Country Championships in Emmetsburg on Fri., October 24, 2014.
Overall, the men placed fourth and the women placed seventh. The Spartans will travel to the National Junior College Athletic Association National Championships in Lubbock, TX, on November 8.
If you're in the mood for a Halloween adventure, head to the Barn of Terror this weekend at the SWCC Ag Site, October 31 and November 1, from 7-10:30 p.m.
A special "Children's Hour" is designated between 7 and 8 p.m. The regular haunted house will take place from 8-10:30 p.m. Admission is $5 per person.
The SWCC Ag Site is located north of the SWCC Creston campus on Green Valley Road.
For the second week in a row and third time on the season, Spartan volleyball player Carmen Subbert of Stanton has been named Iowa Community College Athletic Conference (ICCAC) offensive athlete of the week.
According to the ICCAC Web site, Subbert's performance during the week of October 13-19 included an average of 4.4 kills and 2.1 digs in 13 sets. Also, she had a hitting percentage of 36 percent and continues to lead the Spartans offensively as the team approaches the end of the season.
CRESTON, IA—Southwestern Community College (SWCC) began the process of educating students about the Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate (ALICE) training program on Tues., October 14, 2014, from 8-10 a.m. in the college’s Instructional Center. Keith Olsen, SWCC employee and certified ALICE instructor, conducted the student training with assistance from John Coulter, Afton chief of police and certified ALICE instructor.
Activities are planned on the SWCC campus next week for National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, October 20-24. Get involved and learn about smart choices!
- Monday - Iowa State Patrol driving simulator will be in the Student Center from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Tuesday - "Be a Lifesaver, Drink Responsibly." Students will be handing out lifesavers on campus and before the volleyball game, which starts at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Center gymnasium.
- Thursday - Campus Crawl starting at 7 p.m. in the parking lot east of Spartan Suites
- All Week - Information booth located outside the library in the Instructional Center.
- SWCC Board Holds October 2014 Meeting
- Subbert In Spotlight Again
- Third Straight Win for Spartan Sports Shooting
- SWCC Board Meets October 7 in Special Session
- Register NOW for the Campus Crawl
- Spartans Compete at Lake Panorama
- Register NOW for the SmartStart Kickoff
- Subbert Named Athlete of the Week
- Mullin Family Donates to EF
- Iowa Community Colleges Receive Federal Grant