Plan to get involved in activities on campus January 19-23 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is observed on Mon., January 19, 2009. Events planned for the week include:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Movie event, Student Center, January 19, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: During this event, participants will be viewing Martin Luther King, Jr. documentaries that chronicle the Civil Rights Movement and the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. Following each video presentation, there will be discussion about the content. Popcorn will be served.
- Food Drive, January 19-23, Student Center and LRC: This food drive is being held in conjunction with National Poverty Awareness Month and Martin Luther King, Jr. activities. Please drop off a non-perishable food item anytime this week in the Student Center or the LRC. Donated items will be given to the Union County Food Pantry.
Questions may be directed to Jody Nedley-Newcomb at 782-1429 or Matt Thompson at 782-1413.
"If every one of us would give just one item, think how much good we could do."
Several Southwestern Community College employees were honored for their years of service to the college at the All-Staff Inservice held January 9, 2009. They are pictured below with Dr. Barb Crittenden, SWCC president.
Honored employees and their years of service to the institution included:
|January 6, 2009||Osceola Center||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|January 8, 2009||Creston Campus||8 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
Red Oak Center students should register to attend the Creston session on January 8, 2009.
Dates are also viewable on the college's Master Calendar.
Two teams of students from SWCC's Tech Prep/Career Academy Automotive Program took fourth and fifth place in a hands-on high school skills contest held December 15, 2008, at DMACC in Ankeny. The fourth place team consisted of Creston High School seniors Aaron Paup and Will Frey (photo at right).
David Downey and Harley Stonehocker, seniors from East Union High School earned fifth place honors.
After completing a written exam against 400 other Iowa high school automotive students, these students and 12 others earned the right to compete in the hands-on contest.
Student alternates for the contest were Johnny Mordock of Creston and Matt Owens of East Union.
Steve Schmalzried is the high school Tech Prep/Career Academy automotive program instructor.
The contest was sponsored by the Iowa Automobile Dealers Association (IADA).
SWCC’s Networking Students Place in Statewide Contest
Monday night, SWCC's intramural volleyball league came to a close for the year. The season's winning team included the following students:
Back Row (left to right): Brett Schreyer, Royce Phillips, and Ryan Brouwer
Front Row (left to right): Bridgette Hines and Caitlin Sprague
- Networking Students Place in Statewide Competition
- SWCC Choir Assists with Hunger Project
- Student Health Assessments Next Wednesday
- SWCC Participates in Lighted Holiday Parade
- Student Support Services Annual Statistics Look Good
- Get Involved with the Lighted Christmas Parade
- Changes in Communication with SWCC Students
- Holiday Trees
- SWCC's Secret Santa
- Positive Responses from Recruitment Night