Southwestern Community College grants degrees, diplomas, and certificates to those students who successfully complete programs offered by the college. Students must maintain a 2.00 grade point average on all applicable work (nursing students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses). All requirements of the chosen program must be satisfied, although adjustments may be made when program curriculum has changed and courses are no longer available. Please refer to the current college catalog for requirements for your program.
Friday, May 6, 2016, 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Gymnasium
Students who graduate between December and May are invited to participate in the spring commencement ceremony.
Friday, June 24, 2016, 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Gymnasium
Students who graduate any time during the summer are invited to participate in the summer commencement ceremony.
There is no charge to participate in the commencement ceremony, and participation is voluntary.
Application for Graduation and Commencement Participation
A candidate for graduation must complete the Graduation Application in order to receive a degree or diploma. If you wish to participate in commencement exercises, your gown is also ordered on this form. The deadline to file a graduation application is:
Fall—End of the first week in October
Spring—End of the first week in February
Summer—End of the first week in February (if enrolled during spring semester) or end of first week of summer session
Below is a checklist of the graduation process. See the General Graduation Information page for more detailed information.
Final Graduation Checklist:
During registration of classes for final semester
- Meet with advisor and request a degree audit to make sure requirements will be met
- Complete online graduation application prior to deadline
- Order graduation announcements through the SWCC Shoppe (bookstore) if you wish
- Deadline for spring graduates – end of first week in April
- Deadline for summer graduates – end of first week of summer session
- Members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society may purchase the stoles and tassels designating this honor from the PTK Web site
- Complete Financial Aid Direct Loan Exit Questionnaire at www.studentloans.gov (if applicable)
- Complete the 2015-16 Post Graduation Plans Questionnaire
Last four weeks of final semester
- A spreadsheet of prospective students will be e-mailed to your SWCC e-mail account. Review to make sure your information is correct.
- Complete resume and check out available jobs at Workplace Learning Network if applicable
- Complete COMPASS Post Test if applicable
- Pick up and pay for graduation announcements at SWCC Shoppe (bookstore) if you placed an order
Last two weeks of final semester
- Make sure student account is paid in full, including any library, parking, and dormitory fines
- Return all books, equipment, or materials to proper department
- Request final official transcripts. All accounts with the college must be paid.
- Pick up cap and gown in registrar’s office
- Honor graduates who maintain a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or above will receive honor cords with their caps and gowns.
- Pick up diploma/degree cover at commencement ceremony, attend reception
- Registrar’s Office finalizes grades and graduation status and applies degrees to transcripts. Graduates receive degree/diploma inserts in mail within six weeks
- Order commencement photographs if you wish
- Fill out Graduate Follow-up Placement Student Satisfaction Survey in November following graduation and return
- Keep in touch with Alumni Office and classmates