pace web banner

What is GAP Tuition Assistance?

Gap Tuition Assistance provides funding to eligible applicants enrolling in a GAP approved certificate program in occupations including information technology, health care, advanced manufacturing, and transportation. The GAP Tuition Assistance Program enables individuals to gain the necessary skills to obtain a job in an in demand field!

What is unique about GAP Tuition Assistance?

Non-credit certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid, this program bridges the funding gap for those students pursuing short-term certificates.

What is covered by GAP?

Assistance with your direct training costs, including tuition, books, required fees and equipment for GAP approved classes:


Manufacturing & Industry Technology
  • MIG—Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
  • TIG—Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)
  • MIG & TIG Welding Certificate
  • Introduction to Manufacturing
Health Occupations
  • Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
  • Resident Attendant Training
  • Medication Aide
  • Emergency Medical Responder
  • Emergency Medical Technician
  • Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
  • Class A CDL Professional Driver Prep


Are you eligible?

The GAP Tuition Assistance Program is based on financial need. Eligible participants must provide proof of gross family income which cannot be over the 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines(see chart). However, it is important to note that meeting the financial criteria alone DOES NOT guarantee funding from the GAP Tuition Assistance program. In addition to meeting the financial criteria applicants must also demonstrate the capacity to achieve the program outcomes:

  • Ability to complete the certificate and earn the credential.
  • Ability to enter full-time employment.
  • Ability to retain full-time employment over time.
  • Likelihood of completion

A variety of factors are considered when determining likelihood of completion including potential barriers to success, soft skills, and employability.

You must be an Iowa Resident and eligible to work in the United States.

For more information on how you can get assistance for your training and education, contact Kelsey Hollen, Pathway Navigator, at 641.782.1417 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Shawn GAPpage

After I found myself unemployed, I realized I had no skills to help me acquire a job and get me out of debt.  I was introduced to Kelsey Hollen, SWCC pathway navigator, who sat with me to learn not only where I wanted to go, but also who I was and where I came from. Using her knowledge and resources, Kelsey informed me of GAP tuition assistance.  Being approved for assistance was the best news I had gotten in months!

I'm currently with a trucking company that allows me to be home every night and spend time with my kids and I'm making more than twice the pay I did with my last job!

If you're a veteran, I encourage you to seriously look into SWCC's programs. Meet with a navigator and find out where your options can lead you!

Shawn Docekal

Application Process
  1. Apply online here.
  2. Complete the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC)
  3. Provide proof of gross family income for the last 12 months prior to date of application
  4. Interview with Pathway Navigator
2014 Poverty Guidelines

250% of federal poverty level subject to change.

Family Size Annual Income
1 $29,175 or less
2 $39,325 or less
3 $49,475 or less
4 $59,625 or less
5 $69,775 or less
6 $79,925 or less
7 $90,075 or less
8 $100,225 or less
9 $110,375 or less
10 $120,525 or less