Beta Eta Nu, Southwestern Community College’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, brought home a number of awards from the Phi Theta Kappa Iowa Region Convention, held Feb. 24-25, at Des Moines Area Community College in Newton. In attendance at the convention from SWCC were students, Gabe Esser, of Winterset, and Gabrielle Annonson, of Robbinsdale, MN, as well as Jody Nedley-Newcomb, Beta Eta Nu co-advisor.
Individual and team awards earned by SWCC included:
- Five Star Level (SWCC representatives pictured above receiving an award from Phi Theta Kappa regional officers) – Beta Eta Nu Chapter, Southwestern Community College. Note: Five star is the top award level chapters may receive.
- Distinguished Theme Award – Honors in Action Project, Theme 3 – Rights and Responsibilities (Beta Eta Nu’s topic was “What is going on with mental health care in Iowa?”)
- Honorable Mention, Iowa Region Distinguished Chapter Officer Team – Beta Eta Nu Chapter, Southwestern Community College
- Honorable Mention, Iowa Region Distinguished Honors in Action Project – Beta Eta Nu Chapter, Southwestern Community College
- Horizon Award – Justin Mann, Beta Eta Nu chapter, co-advisor
- Horizon Award – Jody Nedley-Newcomb, Beta Eta Nu chapter, co-advisor
Beta Eta Nu officers for 2016-17 include Valerie Hartman, Blythe Beck, Gabe Esser, Selena Sampson, and Tiffany Simmons-Larson.
Shown in the photo above:
Front row (L to R) - Elizabeth Wantland, Kevin Miller, Tom Hol, and Dakota McKune, 2016-2017 Iowa Regional Officers; Monika Byrd, Phi Theta Kappa International Associate VP of Leadership & International Education; Gabe Esser; Gabrielle Annonson; and Jody Nedley-Newcomb;
Back row - Rich Underwood, Iowa Region executive board president.