If you're looking for a rewarding career in the auto industry, SWCC's auto collision repair/refinish program is an excellent place to get started. SWCC's esteemed auto collision repair/refinish program is one of two programs in Iowa to have the ASE (The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence)/NATEF (National Automotive Technician Education Foundation) certification. SWCC is the only program in the state to have the I-CAR PROLEVEL 1 & 2 certifications.
SWCC's auto collision repair/refinish program is based on the I-CAR Enhanced Delivery curriculum with valuable hands-on experiences in the classroom. Courses are taught by ASE-certified instructors who have platinum level I-CAR designations and an intense pride in their program.
Students are trained in areas of panel straightening, refinishing, structural and non-structural repair, plastics repair, welding, mechanical repairs, and estimating. Quality workmanship is the focus of SWCC's auto collision repair program. The training allows students to become both ASE certified--refinish, non-structural, structural, and mechanical/electrical; as well as earn the I-CAR designations.
In addition, first year students may earn the following:
- I-CAR Non-Structural Platinum ProLevel 1
- I-CAR Refinish Platinum ProLevel 1
Second year students may earn:
- I-CAR Non-Structural Platinum ProLevel 2
- I-CAR Refinish Platinum Pro Level 2
A unique feature of the program--after two years of collision repair training you can return for one additional year of mechanical training and obtain a second AAS degree in automotive repair.
SWCC students have placed extremely high in Iowa Skills USA and National Skills USA competition. In 2022, Lukas Moore, a May 2022 SWCC auto collision repair/refinish graduate, placed second nationally, receiving the silver medal in collision repair technology (post-secondary division); and in 2017, SWCC student Joel Hartstack of Corning, finished as a National Skills USA collision repair champion.
Did you know the Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship could help pay for the cost of this program? Learn more at Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship!
Auto Collision Repair/Refinish: Diploma or Associate of Applied Science Degree
Auto Collision Repair/Refinish Degree Sheet
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- repair damaged vehicles to pre-accident condition.
- comprehend the processes involved in auto collision repair and refinishing industry.
- operate auto collision repair and refinish equipment.
- possess an appropriate work ethic associated with the auto collision repair industry.
- develop a repair plan for various auto collision damages.
- exhibit appropriate customer/interpersonal relations.
I-CAR Platinum-Level Designation - Instructor
I-CAR Gold Class Designation - Program
Skills USA Professional Member
- Collision repair technician
- Refinish technician
- Painters apprentice
- Physical damage appraiser in the insurance industry
- Manufacturer's sales/service representative
- Body shop estimator
Main Instructor: Jeff Magneson, auto collision repair/refinish
Other Instructors: Jeff Sorensen, automotive repair technology and Kole Vogel, automotive repair technology
US Dept of Labor Occupational Profile for Collision Repair/Refinish Diploma - 49-3021