Southwestern Community College's Assessment Center is a Pearson VUE test site and has the capability to administer National Registry of Emergency Technicians (NREMT) exams.
NREMT Exam Process
- A candidate submits a certification application to NREMT.
Candidates must complete an application online with NREMT at www.nremt.org.
- NREMT reviews all information and determines whether or not a candidate is eligible to take an exam. NREMT sends an authorization to test letter to eligible candidates either by email or via the US Postal Service, depending on the method selected by the candidate on the application.
The authorization to test notice that candidates receive from NREMT indicates which exam the candidate is authorized to take and the time period during which he or she may take the exam. (the eligibility period).
- NREMT sends Pearson VUE the necessary records for each eligible candidate.
The authorization record must exist in the testing system database before a candidate can register for and schedule an exam appointment.
- If the candidate wishes to test at the Southwestern Community College Assessment Center, he or she must contact the Assessment Center, 641.782.1320, after the authorization to test letter is received from NREMT. A tentative date and time for testing will be agreed upon between the test center coordinator and the candidate. The test center coordinator will then open the Southwestern Pearson VUE test site for that date and time so that the candidate can proceed with the scheduling process.
Southwestern’s Pearson VUE test site is normally open a very limited number of days per year so scheduling a test appointment at Southwestern may be difficult without the candidate taking the above step to collaborate with the test center coordinator to open the site for a specific date and time. Testing appointments can generally be scheduled Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- The candidate contacts the Pearson VUE Call Center or visits the Pearson VUE Candidate website to register and schedule. If an authorization record exists in the database, the candidate can proceed to make an appointment. Candidates testing at selected DANTES Education Centers may register through those test centers.
Candidates needing accommodations must make the request from NREMT. If the candidate is approved for accommodations, he or she must register and schedule through the Pearson VUE Call Center only.Website: http://www.pearsonVUE.com/nremt
Pearson VUE Call Center (toll free): 866.673.6896
- Pearson VUE sends the candidate an appointment confirmation letter.
After NREMT authorizes a candidate to take an exam, the candidate receives an authorization to test letter from NREMT. The candidate is asked to bring this letter to the test center on the scheduled exam day for verification.
- The candidate takes the exam at the selected test center.
Candidates are required to provide two valid forms of identification. The Primary ID must be a driver’s license, country/ state identification card, military identification or passport. Any Secondary ID is acceptable as long as it contains the candidate’s name and signature.
- Upon completion of an exam, a candidate receives a printout confirming administration of the exam.
The printout does not display the passing score, the candidate’s score, or the grading scale. Information on the candidate’s performance on the exam will be available on NREMT’s own website, in most cases within two business days after exam delivery.
Rescheduling and Canceling
NREMT candidates must reschedule and cancel exam appointments at least one full business day (24 hours) before the appointment, via the Pearson VUE Candidate Website or the Pearson VUE Call Center, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. CST.
Appointments must be rescheduled within the candidate’s authorized eligibility period. All registrations with accommodations need to be rescheduled or cancelled through the Call Center.
Changes made less than one business day before the appointment will result in forfeiture of exam fees, and the candidate will need to reapply and be reauthorized by NREMT before he or she can schedule a new appointment.
Candidates who want to retake an exam must contact NREMT regarding their admissibility. All retake policies are set and enforced by NREMT and not by Pearson VUE. Since an authorization covers only one exam, NREMT must send Pearson VUE a new authorization record for each attempt.
|Exam Name||Series Code||Appointment Time||Fees|
|EMT-Basic||Basic 001||135 minutes||$70|
|First Responder||FirstResponder001||120 minutes||$65|
Southwestern Community College
Instructional Center, Room 215
1501 W Townline Street
Creston, IA 50801
Test Day Necessities
We ask that you arrive at the test center 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give you adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures. Please be prepared to show two (2) forms of personal ID. Both must have your signature, and one of the two must have your photo.
For more information, contact Southwestern's Assessment Center, 641.782.1320.