News & Announcements
During this time of social distancing, guest speakers may not physically be standing in a classroom of students, but with the technology offered through video conferencing, Dio Ayala, SWCC criminal justice instructor, is featuring speakers from across the nation. Today's guest speaker for Ayala's patrol procedures course was Jill Lees, the chief of police for the Indiana University Police Department.
Published April 7, 2020 3:56 pm
The following email was sent by Dr. Barb Crittenden, Southwestern Community College president, to Southwestern students and employees on Monday, April 6, at approximately 9 a.m.
We are now starting our third week of online-only delivery of coursework. The manner in which all of you are adapting and responding to the many challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic has provided encouragement in the midst of this difficult situation. The following adjustments are being made at this time, as a part of our ongoing efforts to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
Published April 6, 2020 9:11 am
The fall 2020 class schedule has been posted and registration for classes is now open. Fall classes begin on August 26 and online classes begin on August 24. Due to the unique circumstances we are currently experiencing, and to take pressure off of our faculty advisors, registration for fall classes will mostly be handled by SWCC’s student services division (admissions, registrar’s office, TRIO-SSS, student development, etc.). Online students may register through the distance education department. Contact information for each department is listed below:
Published April 3, 2020 10:31 am
The summer 2020 class schedule is up and registration for summer classes is open! There are a variety of courses available at the Creston campus, the Osceola Center, and the Red Oak Center.
Published April 3, 2020 10:07 am
March 27, 2020--Southwestern Community College announced today the college will be extending the end date for online delivery of face-to-face classes for spring semester through Friday, April 10.
Due to this extension in online course delivery, the student housing move-in date will be moved to the weekend of April 11-12.
Published March 27, 2020 6:30 pm
The Iowa Department of Management and Public Health is pleased to announce the Southwestern Community College (SWCC) Parents as Teachers program of Adams, Union, and Adair counties has earned the Iowa Family Support Credential. The Iowa Family Support Credential is awarded to family support and parent education programs that are validated through an external evaluation to be in substantial adherence to the Iowa Family Support Standards.
Published March 23, 2020 11:43 am
In light of the declaration by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds that the spread of COVID-19 has reached a State of Public Health Disaster Emergency, Southwestern Community College will be modifying how services are provided to students and the general public. These adjustments will enable the college to continue business operations while minimizing direct person-to-person contact and adhering to recommendations regarding gatherings.
Published March 18, 2020 11:22 am
Course and department information (most recent updates are at top of listings)
- 04.07.20 - Southwestern implements Pass/No Pass Policy for spring 2020 semester.
- 04.06.20 - President's email to students and employees regarding additional changes--including the remainder of the spring 2020 semester continuing online, a pass/no pass policy for courses, and the planning of a virtual commencement ceremony to honor graduates--being implemented due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- 03.27.20 - The period of online-only instruction for face-to-face classes has been extended through Friday, April 10.
- 03.27.20 - Due to this extension in online course delivery, the student housing move-in date will be moved to the weekend of April 11-12.
- 03.25.20 - The fall 2020 student registration schedule has been updated. Visit the Class Schedules page for the updated dates registration opens for students and watch your email for how you may register for classes.
- 03.22.20 - Video message from Dr. Barb Crittenden, SWCC president, to students: https://bit.ly/3bj86gd
- Face-to-face classes will transition to an online delivery format beginning Monday, March 23. Classes will be delivered online until Friday, April 3, at which time the situation will be reassessed. Students should watch for communication from their instructors for specific details related to each course.
- Online classes will continue without interruption.
- Residence hall check-in has been postponed until April 5 unless other arrangements have been made with the director of student housing.
- Spring Break will be held March 16-20. All offices will be closed Friday, March 20, as originally scheduled.
- If students need to make changes to their current class schedules, they should visit the registrar's office page.
- High school students taking face-to-face concurrent enrollment courses at local high schools will follow the high school calendars.
- The NJCAA is suspending all athletic competition for spring 2020. Spring competition includes all practices, regular season, postseason, and national championship play.
- The Spartan Cafe will reopen following Spring Break. Read "Changes in serving at the Spartan Cafe" for additional information.
- Non-credit classes and other adult and continuing education offerings will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Published March 16, 2020 3:44 pm
As a prevention to halt the spread of the coronavirus, effective immediately, the Spartan Cafe will remove all self-service bars including salad bars, hot bars, soups, etc. from the front service area, as well as the food warmer that houses fries, nuggets, and strips. Cafe staff will make salads to order and will have dressing packets, but it will be plated by a cafe team member.
Thank you for your understanding.
Published March 14, 2020 12:03 pm
As we continue to monitor and prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in Iowa, we want to communicate and share as much information as possible regarding our current status and plans. As I mentioned in last week’s email, a campus workgroup is continuing to meet and develop plans as we learn more information from the CDC and the Iowa Department of Public Health regarding the spread of the virus both internationally and within the United States.
Published March 11, 2020 5:41 pm
As Spring Break approaches, we want you to continue to be alert and aware in regard to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). As mentioned in yesterday’s SWCC Weekly, a campus workgroup met yesterday and will continue to meet in an effort to plan for prevention and response in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak in Iowa. We’re working with city and county health officials coordinating plans daily. Currently, there are no reported cases of COVID-19 on the Southwestern Community College campus or in the state of Iowa.
Published March 6, 2020 1:45 pm
Southwestern Community College's Beta Eta Nu chapter officers, members, and advisors attended the Spring 2020 Iowa Region PTK Convention on Feb. 27-28, 2020, in West Des Moines. Beta Eta Nu is SWCC's chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society.
Published March 6, 2020 10:44 am
SWCC Drama Club's spring play "Love Letters" will be performed March 11-13 in Instructional Center, room 220, at 7 p.m. each night.
Published March 6, 2020 10:15 am
The Southwestern Community College Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society held its inaugural Adult Spelling Bee on Saturday, Feb. 29, at A&G in uptown Creston.
Published March 6, 2020 10:13 am
Friday, March 6, 2020--Southwestern Community College, with guidance from The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Iowa Department of Public Health, is closely monitoring the spread of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). On Thursday, March 5, a campus workgroup met and will continue to meet in an effort to plan for prevention and response in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak in Iowa. A plan is in place and the group will continue to monitor and make decisions regarding college travel or if cases become widespread in the state.
Published March 6, 2020 10:03 am
Students from Southwestern Community College's criminal justice program went on a work site visit to the Des Moines metro area.
First up, students visited the State of Iowa Supreme Court, where they were able to tour the court rooms including the Iowa Supreme Courtroom. A few students viewed a live hearing in the court appeals.
Published March 5, 2020 10:43 am
NOTE: This event has been postponed due to the COVID-19 cancellations and changes. If the event is able to be rescheduled, information will be posted when it is available.
High school students are invited to compete in a welding competition and explore post-secondary and career opportunities in the welding field.
Thursday, March 26, 2020, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Southwestern Community College, Technical Center I, welding lab
1501 W. Townline St., Creston, IA 50801
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!
For additional information, or to register for the event, please contact Micah Elefson, welding instructor.
Published February 20, 2020 8:54 am
Southwestern’s annual Transfer Day will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 26, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., in the Instructional Center, room 180. Transfer Day is an opportunity for SWCC students to talk with transfer representatives from many four-year colleges and universities all in one place. So far at this year’s Transfer Day, the following colleges and universities have committed to be in attendance:
• Buena Vista University
• Clarkson College
• Drake University
• Graceland University
• Grand View University
• Iowa State University
• Midland University
• Missouri Western State University
• Nebraska Wesleyan University
• Northwest Missouri State University
• Simpson College
• University of Iowa
• University of Northern Iowa
• Upper Iowa University
• Waldorf University
There will be drawings for door prizes, along with a lot of great transfer information, so plan to attend Transfer Day on Wednesday, Feb. 26, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Published February 18, 2020 11:25 am
The Core Ensemble will be on Southwestern Community College's Creston campus on Wednesday, Feb. 19, to present Ain't I A Woman! in the Instructional Center, room 220, from 12-1 p.m. This performance is open to the public.
Published February 17, 2020 10:24 am
Southwestern Community College's Phi Theta Kappa chapter, Beta Eta Nu, invites you to compete in their Adult Spelling Bee, on Saturday, Feb. 29, at 7:30 p.m. (registration begins at 7 p.m.), at A&G Restaurant & Lounge, 211 W. Adams Street, in Creston.
Prizes for first, second, and third place will be awarded. The entry fee is $15 per contestant (must be 18 or older to participate). The night of the event contestants will be able to purchase phone a friend tickets, steal a word tickets, and additional mulligan tickets. All are opportunities to increase chances of becoming the Spelling Bee Champ! Please join us, and redeem that third grade Spelling Bee Loss! Or re-live the glory of your win!
Proceeds from this event directly benefit SWCC students by helping to provide funding to attend PTK conferences (regional and international).
Published February 13, 2020 11:25 am