- Created on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Creston, IA—Southwestern Community College (SWCC) has announced Ting Liu of Hutchinson, KS, will be the next head volleyball coach for the SWCC Spartans volleyball program. Liu replaces Melissa Blessington, who recently resigned her position at SWCC to become head volleyball coach at Ottawa University in Ottawa, KS.
- Created on Monday, March 3, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Jackson, MS – Fifty-one community college students from the United States, Canada, and American Samoa have been named 2014 New Century Scholars – receiving a total of $100,000 in scholarships. Megan Doubleday, Southwestern Community College (SWCC) sophomore from Mt. Ayr, is among the nationwide honorees. The New Century Scholars Program is sponsored by The Coca-Cola Foundation, Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, Phi Theta Kappa, and the American Association of Community Colleges.
Doubleday, who will graduate from SWCC with her associate of arts degree in May 2014, plans to attend Iowa State University in the fall. She will major in elementary education with an endorsement in math. While a student at SWCC, she has been active in Student Senate (president), Dazzlers dance team (co-captain), student ambassadors, Phi Theta Kappa (vice president of fellowship), work-study, and tutoring. Doubleday is a May 2012 Mt. Ayr High School graduate.
- Created on Friday, February 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Phi Theta Kappa members--The Beta Eta Nu Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa will be having general meetings next week. All members are requested to attend one of the following meetings:
- Monday, March 3, 2014, 12 p.m., Instructional Center, room 135
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 8 a.m., Instructional Center, room 120
- Created on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM
The Southwestern Community College Education Foundation scholarship application for 2014-15 is now available on the SWCC Web site at www.swcciowa.edu/scholarships. All new and returning students for fall 2014 semester are encouraged to apply! Applications are due to the SWCC Education Foundation office on or before March 17, 2014, at 5 p.m. CDT.
- Created on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Transfer Day was held Wednesday, February 26 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m., in room 180 of the Instructional Center. Representatives from 16 colleges and universities were in attendance to provide SWCC students with information on transfer opportunities at their institutions. There were 91 SWCC students who attended Transfer Day, and a variety of door prizes from the various colleges and universities were awarded.
- Disc Golf Club Hosting Indoor Tournament
- Transfer Day Wednesday
- Softball Hosting Fundraiser Brunch on Sunday
- DNR Regulations for Your Farm Postponed
- Phil Mattson and Michele Weir to Headline SWCC Vocal Jazz Festival
- SWCC Ag Students Place at Statewide Contest
- Osceola Carpentry Program Hosting Chili Feed
- Drama Club Auditions Today and Tomorrow