From agriculture to construction and manufacturing to aerospace, welding is involved. SWCC's welding technology program is designed to give you a sound foundation in the principles, practices, and usages of both gas and electric welding. This 32-week diploma program offers you the education necessary to become a skilled welder.
Employers of today need employees with welding, cutting, brazing, and metal fabrication skills. During the program, you will receive training in shielded metal arc welding, gas metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, oxy-fuel welding, brazing, and flame cutting.
If you have good hand-eye coordination, enjoy working with your hands and your brain, and take satisfaction in a job well done, welding could be the career for you!
Welding: Diploma or Associate of Applied Science
Auto collision repair
Motor sports repair
Welding repair shop - agricultural, heavy equipment, or custom work
Miscellaneous welding careers - aerospace, engineering, food industry, manufacturing, pipeline, underwater welding, etc.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- practice safety procedures when working with hot work and the equipment used in the welding career field.
- use blueprints and weld symbols to fabricate welding projects according to the information given on the print.
- set-up, maintain, operate, and troubleshoot; oxyacetylene equipment, shielded metal arc welders, gas metal arc welders, and gas tungsten arc welders to perform quality, competent welds on various thicknesses and types of metals.
- operate welding equipment to make quality welds on the basic weld fit-ups, in all of the welding positions (flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead).
- set-up and use the correct techniques and procedures for structural welding qualification, on all thicknesses, in all positions.
- develop a basic understanding of the employment process and the ability to conduct an effective job search.
- demonstrate effective business communication techniques.
Instructor Darwin Wetzel
Gainful Employment Information