Train for a career in construction! SWCC's carpentry and building trades program will prepare you for entry into the construction industry. From residential home construction to light commercial building, SWCC's hands-on carpentry program will help you land the job you want!
Each year, SWCC carpentry students build a residential home in the Creston community, learning to build hip and valley stick frame roofs, raised panel cabinetry, over-the-post railing systems, and finished oak stairs. SWCC's program allows students to complete all four levels of apprenticeship training as recommended by the Bureau of Apprenticeship Training and recognized by the Associated Builders and Contractors, Incorporated.
Graduates of SWCC's carpentry and building trades program can be found working across the country.
Find jobs related to this degree by visiting Career Coach.Career Coach
Carpentry and Building Trades: Diploma or Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Building materials sales
- Building contractor
- Sheetrock hanger and finisher
- Concrete finisher
- Business owner
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- practice quality workmanship.
- communicate with customers and coworkers on construction jobs in ways that effectively support the work to be accomplished and promote customer satisfaction.
- use appropriate materials, tools, equipment and procedures to carry out work on construction projects.
- demonstrate professional workplace habits including punctuality, attitudes, behaviors, and craftsmanship expected in the construction industry.
- demonstrate proper safety practices and procedures at all times in the classroom, laboratory, and at the building sites.
- demonstrate appropriate framing skills efficiently.
- perform proper interior and exterior finishing techniques to a variety of construction projects.
- perform accurate estimating/print reading functions to a variety of building projects.
- describe basic carpentry theory and apply the use of hand and power tools of the carpentry trade.
- apply math skills to be able to solve math related construction problems on site.