Southwestern Community College (SWCC) is proud to support all veteran and military affiliate students. The veterans services department is located in the student services area of the Administration Center on the Creston campus. Veterans services is responsible for the certification of enrollment to the Veterans Administration for SWCC students who are receiving GI Bill benefits. The SWCC veterans coordinator may also assist students who have questions regarding other benefit programs.
Steps to receiving veterans benefits:
- Apply for GI benefits through the VA - Apply for the GI Bill and other VA benefits as a service member, or qualified family members. Once approved, the VA will Send a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
- Receive Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA - Once the student's GI benefits application is received, reviewed, and approved by the VA, the student will receive a COE. The student should provide a copy of his/her/their COE to Southwestern's veterans coordinator.
- Southwestern School Certifying Official (SCO) certifies student's enrollment to the VA - Once SWCC's SCO receives the COE, SWCC staff will certify the student's enrollment based on the credit hours enrolled for a term.
School Certifying Officials (SCO):
Sharon Swanson, Assistant Registrar/Veterans Coordinator
Deb Pantini, director of student development
Monthly Enrollment Verification
Required for Chapters 33 and 1606 - Students will verify their enrollment on the last day of the month or after. For more information on enrollment verification, please visit the following website: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/isaksonroe/verification_of_enrollment.asp.
Financial Aid Related Information
Veterans who receive Title IV funding will receive a College Financing Plan in their financial aid offer. The College Financing Plan provides prospective students with specific information regarding their eligible financial aid awards.
Questions regarding the SWCC College Financing Plan (or to request a paper copy of the plan), please contact Kylee Klommhaus, SWCC director of financial aid, at
Additional Veteran Resources
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs - 888.442.4551
- Iowa Department of Veteran Affairs - 515.252.4698 or 800.838.4692
- Des Moines Regional Veterans Affairs - 515.323.7464 or 800.827.1000
Assistant Registrar/Veterans Coordinator
Director of Student Development