Southwestern Community College grants degrees, diplomas, and certificates to those students who successfully complete programs offered by the college. Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average on all applicable work (nursing students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses). All requirements of the chosen program must be satisfied, although adjustments may be made when program curriculum has changed and courses are no longer available. Please refer to the current college catalog for requirements for your program.
For additional details regarding commencement, please visit the General Graduation Information page.
Below is a checklist of the graduation process. All SWCC graduates wishing to participate in commencement ceremonies will be encouraged to attend the spring graduation ceremony.
Final Graduation Checklist
During course registration for final semester:
- Meet with advisor and request a degree audit to make sure requirements will be met.
- Complete graduation application, located on SWCCyou, prior to deadlines. Graduation application deadlines: Fall semester - last Friday in September; spring semester - last Friday in February; and summer session - last Friday in February.
- Order graduation announcements through the SWCC Shoppe if you wish. Deadline – end of first week in April.
- Members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society may purchase the stoles and tassels designating this honor from the PTK website.
Last four weeks of final semester
- Complete resume and start looking at available jobs.
- Pick up and pay for graduation announcements at SWCC Shoppe if you placed an order.
Last two weeks of final semester
- Make sure student account is paid in full, including any library, parking, and dormitory fines.
- Return all books, equipment, or materials to the proper department.
- Request final official transcripts. All accounts with the college must be paid.
- Complete Financial Aid Direct Loan Exit Questionnaire at studentaid.gov (if applicable).
Week of Commencement
- Prior to picking up cap and gown, please complete the Graduate Satisfaction Survey.
- Pick up cap and gown in registrar’s office.
- Pick up diploma/degree cover at commencement ceremony, attend reception.
- Registrar’s office finalizes grades and graduation status and applies degrees to transcripts. Graduates receive degree/diploma inserts in mail within six weeks.
- Order commencement photographs if you wish.
- Keep in touch with alumni office and classmates.