International Admissions Requirements | Application Deadlines | Helpful Links
Southwestern Community College is one of Iowa’s smaller two-year community colleges, so at SWCC you'll receive a lot of individual attention. The campus setting is rural and located in Creston, Iowa (population 7,600). Creston is approximately 70 km south of Iowa’s capital city, Des Moines (population 191,000).
Southwestern provides educational offerings leading to gainful employment or course work transferable to four-year colleges and universities to continue studies for an advanced degree. Detailed information about SWCC's programs and advanced degree offerings is available online or in the college catalog.
Please contact Paige Busch, DSO, for questions regarding admission for international students.
International Admissions Requirements
- Official Transcripts - Students must submit official transcripts from their high schools once they graduate. If prior college attended, students must submit official college transcript. NOTE: Each transcript must be in English and include the month, day, and year of graduation, as well as the signature of a school official.
- Student/Sponsor Financial (Bank) Statement - Students are required to submit dated (three months/90 days from day of submission of the application for admissions) bank statements indicating that there are sufficient funds to pay for college. The bank statements need to have a minimum balance of $16,578. The bank statements need to be in English, and also the amounts need to be in U.S. dollars.
- SWCC Financial Statement - Student must complete the linked form to show who will be responsible for the financial support of the student applying for admissions while he/she is attending Southwestern Community College. This form must be notarized.
- English Proficiency Form - If English is not the first/native language of the student applying for admissions into Southwestern Community College, then official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or freshman-level English class completed at an approved United States college or university must be submitted.
- Copy of Passport - Students should take a photo of their current passport, or scan a copy of the passport, and email it to Paige Busch, DSO. The photo or scan should be of main page of the passport, with all of the student's relevant information.
- International Student Deposit - A $2,000 deposit is required for international students. This deposit may be paid via phone with credit card or online through PayMyTuition (deposit is refundable, if the student decides not to attend, to the student applying for admissions, not the payer of the amount).
- $150 Processing Fee - Students may pay the processing fee online at PayMyTuition or with a credit card by calling the SWCC business office at 641.782.1448.
- Student Housing (Dorm) Application - The application for student housing must be completed if a student plans to live on campus. This needs to be done quickly as housing fills up fast. If a student plans to live off-campus, the student should notify Paige Busch, DSO, of their plans.
- Student Housing Deposit - The student housing department requires a $150 deposit paid to Southwestern's business office at 641.782.1448. Payments are accepted by credit card or debit card. This must be paid before the student's housing spot is confirmed. Again, if a student plans to live off-campus, the student must notify Paige Busch.
Please note, the student's I-20 will not be issued until all documents are received.
Items may be sent via email to
Southwestern Community College
c/o Paige Busch
1501 W Townline Street
Creston, IA 50801
Recommended Application Deadlines
- January Entry - November 15
- August Entry - July 15
International Transfer-In Students:
- January Entry - December 15
- August Entry - August 15
Applying for a Social Security Number