Southwestern Community College is one of Iowa’s smaller two-year community colleges. The campus setting is rural and located in Creston, Iowa (population 7,600). Creston is approximately 70 km south of Iowa’s capital city, Des Moines (population 191,000).
Southwestern provides educational offerings leading to gainful employment or course work that is transferable to four-year colleges and universities to continue studies for an advanced degree. Detailed information about SWCC's programs and advanced degree offerings is available online or in the college catalog.
Please contact Casie Klejch, admissions representative, for questions regarding admission for international students.
- Official Transcripts - Students must submit official transcripts in English from their high school once they graduate. These will need to be mailed to Southwestern upon completion of high school and must list the date of graduation. Also, if students have attended prior colleges, students must request those transcripts too. All documentation will need to be provided in English.
- Student/Sponsor Financial Statement - Students are required to submit dated and notarized bank statements indicating that there are sufficient funds to pay for college. The bank statements need to have a minimum balance of $14,638.00. The bank statements need to be in English, and also the amounts need to be in U.S. dollars.
- SWCC Financial Statement
- English Proficiency Form
- Official TOEFL scores
- Copy of Passport - Students should take a photo of their current passport, or scan a copy of the passport, and email it to SWCC Admissions Representative Casie Klejch. The photo or scan should be of main page of the passport, with all of the student's relevant information.
- Above the minimum ACT or SAT scores or ACCUPLACER test scores - Students may complete the ACCUPLACER when they arrive on campus. If the student has a composite score of 19 or above on the ACT, the student is not required to complete the ACCUPLACER.
- $150 Processing Fee - Students may pay the processing fee online at PayMyTuition or with a credit card by calling the SWCC business office at 641.782.1448.
- Student Housing (Dorm) Application - The application for student housing must be completed if a student plans to live on campus. This needs to be done quickly as housing fills up fast. If a student plans to live off-campus, the student should notify Admissions Representative Casie Klejch of their plans.
- Student Housing Deposit - The student housing department requires a $150 deposit that can be paid to Southwestern's business office at 641.782.1448. Payments are accepted by credit card or debit card. This must be paid before the student's housing spot is confirmed. Again, if a student plans to live off-campus, Admissions Representative Casie Klejch must be notified.
- International Student Deposit - A $2,000 deposit is required for international students. This deposit may be paid via phone with credit card or online through PayMyTuition (deposit is refundable if the student decides not to attend). Please note, the student's I-20 will not be issued until the $2,000 deposit is received.
Southwestern Community College
c/o Casie Klejch
1501 W Townline Street
Creston IA 50801
- January Entry - November 15
- August Entry - July 15
International Transfer-In Students:
- January Entry - December 15
- August Entry - August 15