CRESTON, IOWA – (October 4, 2016) – Southwestern Community College’s Educational Talent Search (ETS) program invites high school seniors and their parents to attend Creston’s FAFSA Ready Iowa to complete college financial aid paperwork on Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016, from 3-7 p.m., in the college’s Instructional Center, rooms 208 and 210.
During this event, students and parents will complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) with assistance from college personnel. All students who plan to attend college following high school graduation are encouraged to attend. Students and parents may drop in any time during the event. Appointments will last approximately 30 minutes.
When coming to the event, families should bring the following:
1. Completed 2015 taxes & W2s for the parents and students (if they filed).
2. Students’ and parents’ social security numbers.
3. Students’ and parents’ drivers’ licenses.
4. Parents’ 2015 untaxed income records (social security, FIP, welfare, disability, or veterans’ benefits records).
5. Parents’ 2015 business and investment mortgage information, business farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records. Families do NOT need records for a farm if they live on and operate, ONLY investment farms.
6. Alien registration number or permanent residence card (if not a U.S. citizen).
The FAFSA Ready Iowa program will host more than 60 events in 42 locations across Iowa. Volunteers for FAFSA Ready Iowa will help students and their families fill out and file the FAFSA as part of a national program that helps students qualify for federal financial aid. The FAFSA, which is a free form available in paper and electronic formats from the U.S. Department of Education, is the first step in the qualification process.
“This program is great for anyone who has questions or wants free help with the FAFSA,” said Brittania Morey, state coordinator for FAFSA Ready Iowa. “It’s especially helpful for students who are low-income or are the first generation of their families to attend college, or both.”
FAFSA Ready Iowa will hold events over a six-month period, from October through March 15, in Ames, Ankeny, Calmar, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Centerville, Clarinda, Clinton, Coralville, Council Bluffs, Creston, Davenport, Denison, Des Moines, Dubuque, Emmetsburg, Fort Dodge, Grinnell, Hiawatha, Iowa Falls, Keokuk, Lamoni, Marshalltown, Mason City, Muscatine, Orange City, Ottumwa, Peosta, Perry, Sheldon, Sioux City, Spirit Lake, Waterloo, and West Burlington. There is no cost for FAFSA assistance received at an FAFSA Ready Iowa location.
For more information, please visit the FAFSA Ready Iowa Web site, www.icansucceed.org/fafsareadyia. Details are also available from the Iowa College Access Network by calling 877.272.4692 or e-mailing
# # #