Microsoft offers Office 365 for free to Southwestern Community College students. Here is a guide on installing it.
(BEFORE YOU BEGIN: For best results, uninstall any existing versions of Office you may already have on your computer. Having more than one version of Office on your computer can create issues. Even if you’ve never installed Office before, sometimes a computer will ship with a trial version. To remove pre-existing versions of Office on a Windows 10 computer, go to "Apps & Features" then do a search for "Office" and remove any items that show up).
- Visit the Microsoft Office 365 Education Web Page
- Enter your SWCC email address (every student has a swcciowa.edu email account. Do not use Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc. Microsoft must see the “edu” on your email address for the install to work.)
- You will receive a confirmation code in your SWCC email account. Please allow up to 15 minutes for this email to arrive.
- Enter your verification code and fill out the brief information form. Please make a note of the password you create on this page, you may need it again later. If you see a page that says “invite friends”, you may click the “skip” link at the bottom.
- Once you’re on the actual installation page, you have a couple of options. If you are using Windows or a Mac, Southwestern recommends choosing "Other install options" from the drop-down menu as this version seems to work the best. If you are using a Chromebook or if you don't have a lot of hard drive space, you may install the "Office 365 apps" version instead (this version is bare-bones and may not have some options you need for class.)
- You must remain connected to the internet while Office installs. It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour once it begins installing. When it's finished, search for “Word” on your computer and open it. It may ask you to sign in with your SWCC email address and the password you created earlier.
If you are still having difficulties after following this guide and need assistance, please visit Southwestern’s Information Technology office located upstairs in the Instructional Center.