As of today, the Southwestern Community College (SWCC) facilities remain closed to the general public and walk-in traffic. With many of the restrictions in the state being lifted, the college is taking measured steps to responsibly and safely transition employees back to the workplace and adjust the summer schedule of classes to ensure the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff. The college has worked closely with local public health officials, as well as considered guidance from the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), to begin carrying out the transition.
SWCC employees will follow the timeline listed below for returning to the workplace:
- Monday, May 18 – Faculty who are instructing summer term face-to-face classes return to campus.
- Monday, May 18 – Friday, May 29 – Employees begin returning to the workplace. For this two-week period, employees will work staggered shifts in the offices and will continue telecommuting when not in the office.
- Monday, June 1 – All employees begin working on campus and at the college centers. Telecommuting ceases.
Adjustments to the summer 2020 schedule include:
- Face-to-face classes scheduled to begin Monday, May 11, were delivered online through Friday, May 15. Students were advised to log into Canvas on May 11 to begin their coursework.
- Beginning Monday, May 18, individual and small group instruction following social distancing measures may be scheduled in career and technical education (CTE) programs and the BIO 186 Microbiology w/ lab course. In these limited instances, information regarding course meeting times and requirements will be communicated to students by their instructors. Students should continue to check their email and Canvas messages frequently.
- Students enrolled in the registered nursing program should continue to follow the schedule communicated to them by their instructors.