Southwestern Community College continues to plan for the start of the fall 2020 semester. The college’s academic calendar has been revised, reflecting changes in scheduling due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Southwestern is encouraging flexibility and communication among college instructors, staff members, and students to ensure students reach their educational goals while maintaining health and safety practices for all students, faculty, and staff.
As of Tuesday, June 30, plans are in place for the fall 2020 semester to proceed as follows:
- The fall semester start date has been moved up to Wednesday, August 19 (previously scheduled for August 26).
- Student housing move-in will take place August 14-16. Students living on campus should watch for detailed information regarding safety protocol during move-in from the student housing department.
- Online classes will continue as scheduled for the fall 2020 semester. The start date for 16-week online classes is Monday, August 24, and the end date is December 13.
- Fall semester face-to-face classes will transition to online delivery following Thanksgiving break in order to decrease the number of people returning to campus following holiday-related travel.
- Final exams will be held at the discretion of the college instructor. Students should refer to their syllabus on the first day of classes to determine when their final exams will be administered.
- Fall semester will end on Friday, December 11.
The Administration Center, as well as the Osceola and Red Oak Centers, will open, starting July 6, during regular business hours to allow for student advising, course registration, tuition and fee payment, and financial aid services. Upon arrival to campus or the centers, college personnel will continue to follow physical (social) distancing practices with visitors, review screening questions with individuals, require temperature checks, and ask guests to wear facial coverings when unable to maintain physical (social) distancing practices. For appointments in other college facilities, please follow the protocol for the office you are visiting.