High school seniors who are headed directly to Southwestern Community College (SWCC) for the fall 2021 semester now have an additional scholarship possibility to consider applying for this spring. This scholarship has the potential to allow the recipient/s to graduate debt-free at the end of four years of college!
The Bright Scholars of Iowa Award is given to qualifying Iowa high school seniors who are strong academically but may lack the financial means to enable them to earn a college degree. Students must maintain full-time enrollment in an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science program at SWCC with the intent to transfer to a four-year Regent institution in the state of Iowa.
Eligibility requirements include the following:
- Current senior attending an Iowa high school
- Outstanding academic achievement (top 10 percent or equivalent of high school graduating class, cumulative GPA of 3.75 or above, or ACT of 28 or above)
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning and community service, as well as success in the face of adversity
- Qualify for a Pell Grant as determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Maintain full-time enrollment in an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science program with the intent to transfer to a four-year Regent institution in the state of Iowa
The application deadline for the Bright Scholars of Iowa Award is August 2021. If the scholarship recipient meets all scholarship criteria, the scholarship will continue following transfer to one of Iowa's Regent institutions.
In addition to this scholarship, SWCC's Education Foundation offers many many other scholarship opportunities for students. The deadline for completion of the Education Foundation scholarship application is March 15, 2021. To view scholarship opportunities, please visit swcciowa.edu/scholarships.
Pictured above right: 2019-20 SWCC Bright Scholars of Iowa Award recipients Emily Donner and Tessa Powers.