Southwestern Community College grants degrees, diplomas, and certificates to those students who successfully complete programs offered by the college. Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average on all applicable work (nursing students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses). All requirements of the chosen program must be satisfied, although adjustments may be made when program curriculum has changed and courses are no longer available. Please refer to the current college catalog for requirements for your program.
Friday, April 30, 2021
The ceremonies (including livestream links) will be held at the following times:
- 11 a.m. - Licensed Practical Nursing Commencement and Lamplighting Recognition Ceremony, https://youtu.be/LFSz94z0aaY
- 2 p.m. - Career and Technical Education (CTE) Commencement Ceremony, https://youtu.be/X1CBa6wlMkQ
- 6 p.m. - Arts and Sciences (college transfer) Commencement Ceremony, https://youtu.be/4dCkHHMUI9k
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
- 5 p.m. - Associate Degree Nursing Commencement and Pinning Ceremony, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUCqstsGA8
There is no charge to participate in the commencement ceremonies, and participation is voluntary.
For additional details regarding commencement, please visit the General Graduation Information page.
Application for Graduation and Commencement Participation
A candidate for graduation must complete the Graduation Application, located on SWCCyou, in order to receive a degree or diploma. If you wish to participate in commencement exercises, your gown is also ordered on this form.
- NOTE: For the 2021 ceremony, the deadline to file a graduation application is Wednesday, March 10.
Fall 2020, spring 2021, and summer 2021 graduates are all invited to participate in the 2021 graduation ceremonies.
Below is a checklist of the graduation process. See the General Graduation Information page for more detailed information. All SWCC graduates wishing to participate in commencement ceremonies will be encouraged to attend the spring graduation ceremony.
Final Graduation Checklist
During course registration for final semester:
- Meet with advisor and request a degree audit to make sure requirements will be met
- Complete graduation application, located on SWCCyou, prior to deadline
- Order graduation announcements through the SWCC Shoppe if you wish
- Deadline – end of first week in April
- Members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society may purchase the stoles and tassels designating this honor from the PTK website
- Complete Financial Aid Direct Loan Exit Questionnaire at studentloans.gov (if applicable)
Last four weeks of final semester
- Complete resume and check out available jobs at Workplace Learning Network if applicable
- Pick up and pay for graduation announcements at SWCC Shoppe if you placed an order
Last two weeks of final semester
- Make sure student account is paid in full, including any library, parking, and dormitory fines
- Return all books, equipment, or materials to proper department
- Request final official transcripts. All accounts with the college must be paid
- Prior to picking up cap and gown, please complete the Graduate Satisfaction Survey.
- Pick up cap and gown in registrar’s office
- Honor graduates who maintain a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or above will receive honor cords with their caps and gowns
- Pick up diploma/degree cover at commencement ceremony, attend reception
- Registrar’s office finalizes grades and graduation status and applies degrees to transcripts. Graduates receive degree/diploma inserts in mail within six weeks
- Order commencement photographs if you wish
- Keep in touch with Alumni Office and classmates