Work-study is money you earn while enrolled in college that will help pay your educational expenses. The Student Employment program at Southwestern consists of the Federal Work-Study Program and the Institutional Work-Study Program. Both programs allow students who are enrolled for the current semester to apply for positions on campus. Students who are hired are allowed to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week (actual hours are determined by the supervisor and Financial Aid office) and are paid $8.50 per hour. Students can turn in timesheets on the 15th and the last day of the month. They are then paid on the 15th or last day of the month, depending on when they turned in the timesheets. For example, if a student turns in their timesheet on the 15th of January, they will have a paycheck available on the last day of January. If the student turns in their timesheet on the last day of January, they will have a paycheck available on the 15th of February. Employment opportunities are posted in the Financial Aid Office.

Work-study Job Listings

Changes in Rules and Regulations

In the event of an infectious disease outbreak, the college will follow the guidance provided by the Department of Education.

Federal Work-Study Program/Iowa Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study program utilizes federal funds, matched with institutional funds, to provide part-time employment for students. To be eligible for Federal Work-Study, students must have need as determined from the results of their FAFSA and the students’ cost of attendance.

Community Service is a component of the Federal Work-Study Program. A student who is hired by the Community Service Program will work in local nonprofit, governmental and community-based organizations that are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs. These positions may be located at off-campus work sites.

Institutional Work-Study

The Institutional Work-Study program is administered in the same manner as the Federal Work-Study program; however, students do not have to demonstrate need or complete the FAFSA to qualify for this program. Institutional funds are used to provide part-time employment to students enrolled for the current semester. Any student may apply for a position on-campus; however, students who have Federal Work-Study eligibility will be given priority in filling positions.

All student employees must be able to provide documentation that they are eligible to work in the United States. If the student is enrolled less than half time, the student may have FICA/Tax taken out of paychecks.

Summer Eligibility

Summer eligibility is based on the availability of funds available. Student must be enrolled for both summer and fall semester (i.e. Student must be enrolled in both summer 2022 and fall 2022 semester to be eligible to work in the summer of 2022).