Published March 16, 2020
- COVID-19/Coronavirus Reporting Form - In addition to contacting their instructor/s, Southwestern students should complete the COVID-19/Coronavirus Reporting Form to report any absences related to COVID-19 or other illnesses. The information is submitted to Kim Bishop, SWCC dean of student services.
- CDC COVID-19 website
- TestIowa website
- Iowa Department of Public Health COVID-19 information
- COVID-19 Student FAQ's - Fall 2021 semester
- COVID-19 Student FAQ’s - January 2021
COVID-19 college announcements and information (most recent updates are at top of listings):
- 3.31.22 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting for HEERF I, II, and Ill (a)(l) Institutional Portion, (a)(2), and (a)(3)
- 3.31.22 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting (corrected version) for HEERF I, II, and Ill (a)(l) Institutional Portion, (a)(2), and (a)(3)
- 1.6.22 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting for HEERF I, II, and Ill (a)(l) Institutional Portion, (a)(2), and (a)(3)
- 12.22.21 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - ARPA update
- 10.8.21 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CRRSAA update
- 10.5.21 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting under CRRSAA sections 18004(a)(1) institutional portion and 18004(a)(2)
- 8.4.21 - Students who participate in COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic (or provide proof of vaccination) eligible for prize drawing
- 7.20.21 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting under CRRSAA sections 18004(a)(1) institutional portion and 18004(a)(2)
- 5.21.21 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CRRSAA update
- 5.20.21 - Face coverings now optional following Governor Kim Reynolds signing new bill
- 5.17.21 - COVID-19 face covering requirement changing on campus
- 4.5.21 - COVID-19 vaccine clinic at SWCC Creston campus on Thursday, April 8, 2021
- 3.3.21 - Southwestern announces 2021 Commencement Ceremonies will be in person
- 2.8.21 - Dean's email to students regarding continued use of face coverings
- 1.6.21 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting under CARES Act sections 18004(a)(1) institutional portion and 18004(a)(2)
- 11.24.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 11.10.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 10.27.20 - Quarterly budget and expenditure reporting under CARES Act sections 18004(a)(1) institutional portion and 18004(a)(2)
- 10.12.20 - Spring 2021 semester being modified due to COVID-19
- 10.07.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 09.08.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 08.17.20 - COVID-19 SWCC student FAQs
- 08.10.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 08.05.20 - Fall 2020 Move-In Schedule
- 08.01.20 - Face coverings required on campus - SWCC Face Covering Protocol
- 07.27.20 - Fall 2020 SWCC Student Checklist - Emailed to students 07.27.20
- 07.14.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 07.13.20 - NJCAA 2020-21 Updated Plan of Action
- 06.30.20 - Southwestern fall semester start date moved up to Aug. 19
- 06.17.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 05.22.20 - SWCC emergency financial aid grants for students - CARES Act update
- 05.18.20 - COVID-19 update regarding summer courses and employees returning to work.
- 05.01.20 - Spring 2020 online textbook buyback information from the SWCC Shoppe
- 04.24.20 - Summer 2020 schedule adjustments
- 04.19.20 - Virtual graduation ceremony planning is underway. ALL SWCC graduates are asked to complete the 2020 Virtual Graduation Form by 5 p.m. CST on Friday, April 24.
- 04.16.20 - Important information from the SWCC Shoppe regarding spring 2020 book buyback and rental returns, as well as textbook purchase for summer term.
- 04.07.20 - Southwestern implements Pass/No Pass Policy for spring 2020 semester.
- 04.06.20 - President's email to students and employees regarding additional changes--including the remainder of the spring 2020 semester continuing online, a pass/no pass policy for courses, and the planning of a virtual commencement ceremony to honor graduates--being implemented due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- 03.27.20 - The period of online-only instruction for face-to-face classes has been extended through Friday, April 10.
- 03.27.20 - Due to this extension in online course delivery, the student housing move-in date will be moved to the weekend of April 11-12.
- 03.25.20 - The fall 2020 student registration schedule has been updated. Visit the Class Schedules page for the updated dates registration opens for students and watch your email for how you may register for classes.
- 03.22.20 - Video message from Dr. Barb Crittenden, SWCC president, to students: https://bit.ly/3bj86gd
- Face-to-face classes will transition to an online delivery format beginning Monday, March 23. Classes will be delivered online until Friday, April 3, at which time the situation will be reassessed. Students should watch for communication from their instructors for specific details related to each course.
- Online classes will continue without interruption.
- Residence hall check-in has been postponed until April 5 unless other arrangements have been made with the director of student housing.
- Spring Break will be held March 16-20. All offices will be closed Friday, March 20, as originally scheduled.
- If students need to make changes to their current class schedules, they should visit the registrar's office page.
- High school students taking face-to-face concurrent enrollment courses at local high schools will follow the high school calendars.
- The NJCAA is suspending all athletic competition for spring 2020. Spring competition includes all practices, regular season, postseason, and national championship play.
- The Spartan Cafe will reopen following Spring Break. Read "Changes in serving at the Spartan Cafe" for additional information.
- Non-credit classes and other adult and continuing education offerings will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Event cancellations and postponements
Please check the SWCC website for the most up-to-date event information:
- March 26, 2020, Welding Skills Challenge and Industry Career Fair, canceled
- March 26-28, The SMV Real Group Festival, canceled
- Tuesday, March 31, Phi Theta Kappa Spring Induction of New Members
- Thursday, April 2, SSS Honor Banquet
- Saturday, April 4, ACT Testing, postponed to June 13
- Saturday, April 4, Southwest Iowa Dance Showcase, canceled
- Wednesday, April 15, Poster Day - Students should watch for instructions from their instructors. Some classes will participate in a virtual Poster Day and some will no longer be participating.
- Tuesday, April 21, Red Cross Blood Drive, postponed
- Wednesday, April 22, Meals from the Heartland, no 2020 event will be held. Next event will be April 21, 2021.
- Thursday, April 30, Health Careers Employment and Education Fair, canceled
- Friday, May 1, New Student Orientation, students registered will be contacted to reschedule
- The Light Company will not meet until classes are back in a face-to-face format.
- IDAP weekly sessions have been cancelled until further notice.
The campus, offices, and the Osceola and Red Oak Centers will remain open. Computer access for students will be available at the Learning Resource Center (library) in the Instructional Center on the Creston campus, as well as in the computer labs at the centers.
Announcements and news releases
- March 22 video message from Dr. Barb Crittenden, SWCC president, to students: https://bit.ly/3bj86gd
- SWCC coronavirus information for students and employees.
- March 14 email from SWCC President Barb Crittenden
- March 11 email to students
- March 6 email to students
Published March 14, 2020
As a prevention to halt the spread of the coronavirus, effective immediately, the Spartan Cafe will remove all self-service bars including salad bars, hot bars, soups, etc. from the front service area, as well as the food warmer that houses fries, nuggets, and strips. Cafe staff will make salads to order and will have dressing packets, but it will be plated by a cafe team member.
Thank you for your understanding.
Published March 13, 2020
Southwestern students and employees,
Earlier this week, the World Health Organization announced that the coronavirus (COVID-19) has reached a global pandemic level. Nationwide, efforts are being implemented to help limit exposure and reduce the spread of the virus.
At Southwestern, we have been monitoring this evolving situation and sharing information and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) with students and employees. Today, the decision was made to implement the following actions out of concern for the health and safety of our students, employees, and members of our communities:
Published March 13, 2020
SWCC Drama Club's final performance of "Love Letters," scheduled for 7 p.m. today in Instructional Center, room 220, has been postponed until 7 p.m. Friday, April 24, during the college's Pay It Forward (PIF) Week.
Published March 11, 2020
As we continue to monitor and prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in Iowa, we want to communicate and share as much information as possible regarding our current status and plans. As I mentioned in last week’s email, a campus workgroup is continuing to meet and develop plans as we learn more information from the CDC and the Iowa Department of Public Health regarding the spread of the virus both internationally and within the United States.
Published March 11, 2020
The Southwestern Community College (SWCC) board of trustees held its regular meeting on Tuesday, March 10, 2020, at 5:30 p.m. in the board room of the college’s Administration Center.
The first action item on the agenda was consideration of the fiscal year 2021 budget. A public hearing was held and no oral or written objections or petitions were heard or submitted. The board approved the budget as presented.
Published March 10, 2020
Southwestern Community College (SWCC) students Chase Miner of Leon and Ella Rutherford of Niantic, Illinois, were honored as members of the 2020 All-Iowa Academic Team during a recognition ceremony sponsored by the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and held Monday, March 2, 2020, at 5:30 p.m., at the Embassy Suites in Des Moines.
Published March 6, 2020
As Spring Break approaches, we want you to continue to be alert and aware in regard to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). As mentioned in yesterday’s SWCC Weekly, a campus workgroup met yesterday and will continue to meet in an effort to plan for prevention and response in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak in Iowa. We’re working with city and county health officials coordinating plans daily. Currently, there are no reported cases of COVID-19 on the Southwestern Community College campus or in the state of Iowa.
Published March 6, 2020
Southwestern Community College's Beta Eta Nu chapter officers, members, and advisors attended the Spring 2020 Iowa Region PTK Convention on Feb. 27-28, 2020, in West Des Moines. Beta Eta Nu is SWCC's chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society.