The earlier you plan for transfer, the more time you'll have for transfer planning. As soon as you think transferring is a possibility for your future, begin making plans and contacts. Planning well in advance will increase your flexibility, reduce frustration, and can be less costly in the long run.
Using the following checklist should help you with planning:
- Select the four-year college or university to which you want to transfer. To research some schools, go to College Search Sites.
- Be sure to discuss your transfer plans with your academic advisor or a counselor at Southwestern.
- Request transfer information and catalogs from the college(s) of your choice.
- Find out about transfer requirements, application deadlines, scholarship information, and housing options.
- Schedule an "official" campus visit with the college you choose - you may need to visit 2-3 campuses to decide. Be sure to visit the department for your major to get specific course requirements to aid in planning courses at SWCC.
- Be sure to complete financial aid, scholarship, and housing applications. Watch the deadlines.
- Complete and send the application for admissions to the school of your choice - apply early!
- Have all of your college transcripts sent to the transfer school. They may also need your high school transcript. Be prepared to make written requests for all of these items.
- Attend an Orientation/Registration Day at the transfer school designed especially for transfer students. You should receive an invitation to orientation if you are accepted for admissions.
- Get pre-registered for classes (usually at orientation) and find out about payment options and deadlines.